Tuesday, February 4, 2014

The Perils of a Bath Reader

I know I'm not the only one who reads in the bath. I can't take a bath without having something to read. The first time I read in the bath, I can't believe I still remember, I was about 11 or 12 and it was that week's Donald Duck comic. I was subscribed to it for a few years and waited for it every Tuesday.  Ah, to be young again.

Anyway. The bath. After Donald Duck there was Seventeen magazine and then books. At first I was scared of dropping them in the water but if I remember correctly that has only happened once over the years (what a tragic day that must have been, I seem to have blocked out what unfortunate book got that untimely demise). Pretty good considering the amount of baths I take!

But reading in the bath can be a difficult task. Most of the time the books I read are paperbacks so it's not that hard to hold them over the water. But the other day I decided to re-read The Book Thief before seeing the film. Man, that was tough! My edition of The Book Thief is in Icelandic, 500 pages, hardcover and heavy as a brick.

Trying to hold that brick high enough so it wouldn't touch the water was a nightmare. I only got through a couple of pages before I could feel my muscles (because I have real good muscles..... ahem) starting to turn into jelly. The next day those awesome muscles of mine were still aching.

But what can I do? I'm sure as hell not stopping my bath-reading habits. Maybe I should join a gym and work on my guns? Knowing me I will probably just buy a reading tray!



An armchair, a bookshelf and a bathtub, my dream! Design by Malin Lundmark called Library Bath. How cool is that?



No comments:

Post a Comment