Sunday, June 22, 2014

Huge Haul Part 2: The Slightly Used But Still Kinda New Ones

Yes, that is the name for Part 2.
This post will be slightly longer than the first one. I got all of these books (except for one) from a second hand/antique book store I sometimes go to. I can't let my self go there too often because I go kinda crazy in there and I just don't have the space for all the books I could buy from there. First world problems, eh?

Anyway, on to the books.

The first book is a little water damaged but that has never stopped me buying a book. It is The Sea, The Sea by Iris Murdoch. I have never read anything by Iris Murdoch but I have known of her for years, ever since I saw a TV movie about her when I was very young (don't know why I still remember). So I'm excited to read this.


The next book is the only book I didn't get from the second hand book store. It is The Passage by Justin Cronin and I got it from a guy in a book swap/selling Facebook group. I was so glad when I saw it on there because I bought the second book in The Passage series earlier this year without realizing it was a sequel. So annoying when that happens, isn't it? Anyway, I was just so glad I didn't need to order it online or anything. The only thing that I don't like is that it doesn't match the other book (The Twelve). Oh, well. I can live with it. Hopefully.....


I got two autobiographies (kinda). The first one is Paula by Isabel Allende. It is Allende's writings from when her daughter was in a coma. It will likely be a hard thing to read about but interesting.


The other one is A Life of Privilege, Mostly by Gardner Botsford. It is a WW2 related autobiography so I'm excited!


On to more fiction. I got a book called A Widow for One Year by John Irving. Never heard of it before and never read anything by Irving but it looked good and it was cheap. Don't really need any other reason to buy a book....


Now, this next one I'm really excited for. It is The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent. It's an historic novel about the Salem witch trials. I have always been fascinated by this topic so this book should be right up my (Diagon) alley.


OK, I love silly things and when I saw this book I just felt giddy! The Fourth Bear is a second book in the Nursery Crimes series by Jasper Fforde (yes, Nursery Crimes). It's basically a crime novel about DCI Jack Spratt who is the head of the Berkshire Nursery Crime Division. The Nursery Crime Division handles cases involving nursery rhyme characters and other PDRs (persons of dubious reality). How fantastically silly does that sound? It just makes me chuckle.


The next book was definitely one of those "buy for the sake of buying" kind of things. Although I love London and everything to do with London I highly doubt I will ever read this book. It is The City of London Volume 1: A World of its Own 1815-1890. It looks a bit too political to be honest but whatever, It was real cheap and it has London in the title. Yes, that is all I need.


I have one more book for this post and it is another history books. British History by Rodney Castleden is a chronological dictionary of dates. So it basically lists everything (everything noteworthy, that is) that happened each month of each year from 8000 BC to 1991 (when the book was published). It will come in handy one day, I'm sure (I say that about most books to justify buying them).



That is it for part 2. Stay tuned for part 3, it will be a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment