Monday, February 3, 2014

The Cuckoo's Calling - Book Chatter

Crime novels. Not something I normally read. I'm just never that interested in them, maybe because so many TV shows are crime related and I don't want my books to be saturated in crime as well. But last year a book came out by one Robert "J.K. Rowling" Galbraith and, of course, I had to read it. I mean, it's J.K. Rowling for god's sake! I had read The Casual Vacancy and quite enjoyed it. This second post-Harry Potter book is a lot lighter read than The Casual Vacancy and, to my surprise as it is a crime novel, I really loved it.

The best thing about this book is the main character, Cormoran Strike, a one legged, ex army man who works as a private detective in London.  He is just a fantastic character, so human and real. I know I shouldn't compare The Cuckoo's Calling to the Harry Potter series but I just have to say this one thing. While I was reading the book I imagined Strike as a mix of Hagrid, Sirius and Mad-Eye Moody. The largeness and hairiness of Hagrid, Sirius' devil may care personality and Mad-Eye's professional choice and... well, the missing a leg thing. I hope I'm not the only one who sees this. Or maybe I'm just too far gone in my Harry Potter love.

The other main character is Robin, Strike's temporary secretary. God I can't believe I'm doing this again, but she kind of reminds me of Hermione. She's reliable, smart and  determined to do her best. She really makes the story of what it is and the chemistry between Strike and Robin is great.

The case Strike and Robin are investigating is about a supermodel who falls to her death from her apartment window. Because I'm not a seasoned crime novel reader I really can't say whether this is a good plot or not but I enjoyed it. But in my opinion the case is so not what drew me in. My favorite thing about this book are the two characters and I loved the scenes they had together.

Over all, The Cuckoo's Calling is a great book with great characters and I cannot wait for the next book. Yes, thankfully, Robert Galbraith will write again and what I have heard the second book is already finished and will be released later this year.





The verdict:

J. K. Rowling's second array into the world of adult books gets three stars from me. Great book, totally worth the read and re-read.







No comments:

Post a Comment